Sunday, 27 March 2011

'This is where it gets complicated'

It's my firm belief (well as firm as an idea I had ten minutes ago can be) that life's a story. I don't think I'm built to look at things logically, I need to inject narrative, underlying rules, dramatic pathos and the hope of nick-of-time rescues into things. It's an overly romantic view, but better that in my head than thinking everything's just random molecules blipping off each other.

And so naturally with that view comes the idea of chapters. The points where one arc ends and the other begins, or a new character is introduced, or (if you're a fantasy novel hound like me) the protagonist goes up a skill grade and as such faces a new challenge. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm heading now. I'm planning my own anthology of short stories, some from me, some from others. It's only in the early stages now, but if I pull it off it'd be a big career step. More on this as it develops.

Also currently stapling together bits and pieces for the next fundraiser for Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, the theatre company I work with. We've got the venue, I'm currently reeling in acts. Particularly looking forward to doing some Fry and Laurie sketches, it's been too long since I've done comedy. Intentional comedy, anyway. Once the fundraisers are over, I'm actually looking forward to sitting down and concentrating on playing the part of Luccio, who's best described as the snazziest sleaze in the story. Shakespeare's always fun, and while I'm not as familiar with Measure for Measure as I am with the Big Four, give me some iambic pentameter and I'm a happy ginger.

I shall furnish this blog with links where things are set in stone, as I will be looking for submissions for the anthology, and obviously looking for your mon- company for the fundraiser. 

Oh and this has nothing to do with anything, but it's adorable as all hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment