Monday, 24 October 2011

Set the Controls

It's been far too long since I blogged, but on the upside that means this will be a long post full of inane ramblings, links to things I like and remorseless self-promotion. In short, all the things I usually blog about. Consistency, that's the key.

The main thing occupying my mind at the minute is finding a new home, as my lease is now up on the Palace of Cold and Disrepair. I'm really going to miss this place; it had character. Beige character, the kind of character that could do with a good scrub and maybe a throw or two, but character nonetheless. 

(I learned how to play Garyball here. I had eight epiphanies, two of which stuck. Girls and boys were kissed here by girls and boys. I had at least one tectonic, no-holds-barred shouting match. One does not scrub these things away.)

So now I'm house-hunting, debating whether it's better to find a little garret or bedsit and make it into a sort of Davespace, or find a single room somewhere and throw myself into being friends with random people. I've lived on my own before, I don't find it a problem, but have yet to find somewhere that suits me perfectly. And that I can afford. I love being poor, it makes me inventive. Part of me is inordinately annoyed I can't just open some kind of pocket dimension and keep all my stuff there. I'm twenty-three, I thought I'd be able to do that kind of thing by now.

Le sigh.

I am a very busy person over the next while, and will put up a properly irritating blog soon explaining where and when I will be spouting my nonsense. Tomorrow I get to dress in costume and tell horrible stories to a hundred and fifty kids in Trinity College, which I am really looking forward to be honest. Kids make a fantastic audience; they 'ooh' and 'aaah' at all the right places, and I intend to leave them gravely worried in my wake. 

I've also started reviewing films for Film Jam, so expect minorly caustic opinions coming from there. Click the link above for my opinion on Contagion, a film so enjoyable I spent forty hours in bed after it. Sniffle.

Okay, I must run. There's a viewing later and I need to go fill all the rooms with bees.

(not that I'm bitter about moving)





No comments:

Post a Comment